Monday 12 January 2015

Little miracles in NICU;Work diaries

Little miracles in NICU;Work diaries
Today i watched a 900g fighter come back to life.Watched as her blue lips flushed full to pink,forcefully and rightfully sucking back the oxygen.At the same time taking away the despair of having to break bad news and the pain of seeing a mother mourn a day old loss.I have seen them come in weighing nothing,have seen them gain 10g a day,little by little,grow a little bigger than they were yesterday.Turn into little humans.These neonates, are WARRIORS.
I have learnt the art of patience,a skill i'm ashamed to admit i sometimes lack. I have learnt the skill to be patient with myself,especially when inserting cannulaes and taking blood.
I have learnt to offer my throbbing heart,in sync with a little prayer under my breath.Begging God for success when a cannula doesn't go in.
I have learnt to appreciate that at times i will meet vocal teachers who speak positively and kindly towards us junior doctors when we are frustrated by an unsuccessful cannula.Reminding us ever so graciously,that someday we will just be as good as them.
I have also learnt that sometimes the best teacher is a day old baby in an incubator,who seems to do nothing but lie all day and hold onto dear life.
I have learnt not to judge the span of a man's life by his external appearances,but to accept that only God,knows how long our path is destined to be.I have seen weak babies whom even mothers had given up all hope,bloom back to life.
I take my hat off to all the medical officers i work with.I marvel at how they manage a 1 in 3 days call.I am amazed by the sacrifices they make of themselves,their families.I pay homage to these unsung heroes.
Work diaries;i think i'm slowly falling in love with paediatrics.But Nephro keeps wooing me from a distance...

No comments:

Post a Comment