Wednesday 15 April 2015

No to hatred

Last week a child about 7 or so ''confused'' me for a Zimbabwean national while i was shopping in Nzano Mall.She asked me in Shona, where i had picked a particular item.I smiled at her and directed her in English.Her mom smiled back and tried to make conversation in Shona.I explained to her that it would be an absolute pleasure to converse in her language but i could only reply in English and Kalanga and there and there i made a new friend.We talked about how often im confused for a foreigner in my country and how my looks are more suited to foreign lands.See i do not have the typical tswana look,if you know what i mean.I have met Zambians who've assumed i'm Zambian.I have even met Nigerians, but then my accent gave me away.I have met Zimbabweans who have rightfully claimed me to be one of their own.My great greats were once offered a place of refuge in Zim...i'm part and parcel  of the Kalanga  history that isn't  really written down yet...My Chief was offered refuge in Zim....for  a good number of years i was raised by a hard working Zim sister who never hurt a fly,one of the most honest,responsible women i have ever known. It hurts a sister to see all the hatred misdirected on souls who are already  suffering because of a situation beyond their control.Of the few South Africans that perpetuate this hatred,imagine if you were confused to be a foreigner and treated the way you have treated your African brothers..would it be the kind of treatment you'ld want to get.South Africa,you have been the country that Africa wants to emulate but this time you've done more than just disappoint us.You have tarnished your rainbow nation flag.You have your african brothers blood on your hands.Make things right,before its too late

No comments:

Post a Comment