Wednesday 29 April 2015

Work diaries: complex issues of being a female doctor

Work diaries: complex issues of being a female doctor

Sometimes it hits you,and it hits you hard,that sexisms isn't dying anytime soon

I think i should just accept that in this country no matter how many times i introduce myself as a doctor,i will always be referred by sone of my patients as nurse or aussie or sistere.,i will see the patient and be asked right after,"when is my doctor coming to see me." That some of my patients who  will not ask my male counterparts,(of the  same age,same rank,same lack of uniforms,same stethoscopes around our necks)  to help them out with nursing duties but will shout at me,calling me all sorts of endearment names such as aussie,sistere and ask me to please hetola them,or please feed me.That my explanation as to why i cant stop my doctorly duties of assisting my still not seen patients to do nursing duties will fall on deaf ears sometimes.That i will be viewed as a bad person for refusing to stop my work sometimes,to do duties that are not mine.That  after introducing myself several times and continuously being addressed by a title or name  that is not mine--if i refuse to answer to such a title or such an endearing name,that i cannot be right.That my patient,no matter how wrong my patient is --because my patient is my client--that my patient is always right.

That,its slowly sinking why most women who eventually make it to  top ranks sometimes come off as cold, no nonsense kinda women.I understand why they tend to seem as if they are proving themselves.They tend to take the bull by the horns and are often said to lack motherly characteristics of being caring.That as much as i want to be this soft nice woman,day in and day out,i'm tempted to assert myself,to aggressively claim my ground...and that im continuously tempted to bring my certificates and say hey,i went through five years of helll,2 years of gruelling bsc,i got this degree..give me the credit i deserve...

1 comment:

  1. Hahahahaha "Aussie"...
    Oh jesus shem,atleast u got your job...my dream was shuttered last week as I got an offer into social sciences

    ReplyDelete