Tuesday 2 April 2013

a story

The truth about us
we are a story in a story book
always beginning with 
once upon a time a long time ago 
there was a boy and a girl
we know the first sentence of our beginning like the back of our hands
we know how shrill the pitch of your voice sounded when you asked for my name
we know the thought of rejection scared the hell out of the both of us like a horror novel read in a still dark eerie room
we know how low my eyes kept at the softness and tenderness of your voice
how closely i studied every aspect of your being like a literature student breaking down Shakespeare's Macbeth word for word
Yes i studied you
your origins,your prose as it turned into a lovable song in my ear
i studied you closely
like a poem
recited every piece of your being with intense rhythm and repetition
i held every aspect of your being closer and closer to my cerebellum
kept you in my long term memory
highlighted your goodness in permanent markers
underlined the soulmateness of our souls
chose not to forget you,spelt I AM IN LOVE WITH YOU in capital letters
doodled your name in the corner of our story page
we both know we know
we know the flutter of butterflies that flew from the bottom of our bellies to our throats
we know the feelings we couldn't hold in no matter how we tried
we know
we know the end of our first chapter
how it left us longing for more
we know how we spent sleepless nights waiting for the other to call
waiting to hear the sound of your soft voice say goodnight like it was the best word in the whole wide world
you are my story
my second chapter
i read your mind quickly like a book worm eager to get to the climax
i read your mind
your soul holds me like a scuba diva holds a breath of air
like i'm the only thing you need to survive
you know when to give me a much deserved pause
a cardiac 'comma'
you know when to hold me in the middle of an argument ,let me catch my breath
for the twist in the plot that leaves me wondering how the superman in you knows what i need when i need it
you are the the main character
the one whose vices drive me nuts yet no matter how crazy you drive me
i still want you to live to the end
always by my side
always to the cliche and they lived happily ever after

No comments:

Post a Comment